Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Funny, What Occurs To You


We have a word for just about anything.

We have a word that captures, in just one word, just about everything you can wrap your brain around.

I was watching Training Day. Great movie. Great. Denzel earned his Oscar, boy howdy. I was watching Training Day, and he shouts “Boom!” to wake up his trainee. What pops in my head? Onomatopoeia: A word to describe a word that is also the sound it makes. ‘Boom.’ ‘Slam.’ ‘Zing.’ ‘Whoosh.’ So on.

We have a word for just about everything. The only example I can think of that doesn’t have its own word… is nothing good. If a woman loses her husband, she is a widow. If a child loses its parents, it is an orphan. What do you call a parent who has lost their child?

There is no word for it. There is no title for it. Smarter, wiser men than me have said, “It’s something so terrible, we can’t give it a name.” I’m paraphrasing.

Why is this on my mind? Couldn’t tell you. I don’t know. The penalty of having a mind that never stops.

It’s not even 11:30. I don’t know if I’m happy that it’s early yet, or just wishing that the time would pass faster. Go figure.

More to follow, folks. In the mean time, hug the dear ones you have near to you. Do us both the favor…

Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home