Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Sunday, March 26, 2006

What A Revoltin' Development


Another weekend wraps up, and this one was one for the records. In not entirely good ways.

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday’s shows were good-- very good. A panic attack threw a monkey wrench into the gears last night (ten minutes before the show, no less); but it didn’t stop me from doing my best. We still turned out one hell of a show to our biggest crowd yet.

I cannot define how frustrating these attacks are. Especially when they get in the way of things I enjoy; let alone work that requires my undivided attention and full energy. Short of trying my best to actively deal with the stressors I think are contributing to them, I don’t know what to do. (Medication isn’t gonna happen. I’m really not interested.)

* * *
One thing about writing these things is deciding what goes in, and what gets left out. I had an experience Saturday afternoon that I would love to describe with detail, but decency prevents me. If you don’t have anything nice to say…
* * *

In other news more fit to print, I showed a friend my latest script. I asked his opinion of it, and he gave it to me. His remarks were frank, constructive, and completely ripped the script a new one.

It was well-deserved. It’s possible to lose perspective (and objectivity) on your own writing; which is why going to others for input is such an important part of the process. He was kind enough to ask up front what kind of feedback I was looking for: Generalities, High Points, or the Full Opinion. I asked him to lay it on me. He pointed out several things that, in hindsight, were 100% on the money.

I try not to shoot the messenger, and do what I can to accept the remarks in the helpful vein they were intended. I think I’m doing okay, there. Thank you, Jeff.

I had a great day today; and spent some quality movie-time with my brother this afternoon. Regardless, I’ve been in a funk since the attack last night. My big hope tonight is that throwing myself into some work will air out the gray cells and let me focus on what’s truly important, here.

Ciao, folks. More to follow.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Kate Monster said…

    Try Yoga! It really helps me to calm down. I've made the sun salutation a part of my pre-show ritual, for every show.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home