Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, September 17, 2007

A Pleasant Dilemma


For a while now, I've tried to cultivate a taste in older movies. Thanks to Blockbuster, I receive them regularly in the mail.

A director I've tried to catch up with is Alfred Hitchcock. The man was a genius, that's no secret. My problem is that I saw one of his greatest films first, and everything since has seemed to come up a little short.

Vertigo was flawless. It's absolutely heartbreaking, intensely thrilling, chilling, and the score is nothing short of phenomenal. It's a masterpiece.

I saw Psycho prior to that, and since then I've enjoyed Notorious, Rope, The Birds and as we speak I'm watching Marnie. (It's worth noting that a friend of mine from the Star Trek Improv team is a dead (brunette) ringer for Tippi Hedren. Seriously, it's as uncanny as my own doppelganger in sunny CA.)

They're all quite good, but none have matched up to Vertigo. Yet. I've got hopes for a few of his others, but I don't know.


Thoughts?

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger KMH said…

    Try "Rear Window".

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger David Gorsline said…

    Ditto for Rear Window, but my favorite is North by Northwest.

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Nah, its Strangers on a Train by far. You'll go nuts. FanfriggenTASTIC film.

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger mr.stinkhead said…

    North by Northwest is great

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your going to have a hard time finding a better Hitchcock film than Vertigo. Rear Window is the other good Jimmy Stewart film. The third was a film called The Man Who Knew Too Much. Not nearly as memorable.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home