Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Meh.


I recently picked up another Hitchcock title at Blockbuster, namely Frenzy. I was looking forward to it. It's Hitchcock's penultimate film, and it was written by Anthony Schaffer, playwright behind my favorite script of all time; Sleuth.

It wasn't very good. At all.

The dialogue was so-so, the lead protagonist unsympathetic; despite his 'innocent man suspected of murder' status. I'm not giving anything away, here. Some of Hitchcock's best films revolve around a man in nearly the same circumstances. Frenzy isn't one of them.

What I did enjoy was spotting an actress in a small role that would later play the "Hag" hotel keeper in Hot Fuzz. That was fun.

So. There's that. I've been heading for a 'classics' kick in my movie-watching for a while now; and am looking forward to revisiting movies like Casablanca and Vertigo when I have the time. Just giving you a heads' up, people. Steer clear o' Frenzy.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Throw in a classic movie along with that pie offer and I think our dinner night might turn out just splendid. Perhaps "Rear Window"?

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I coulda told you that. After Pscyho (1960), Hitch doesn't have much to say. Some people like The Birds but not me. Marnie didn't leave much of an impression.

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Casey Jones said…

    "The Birds" was so-so for me; but I did enjoy "Marnie". Can't blame Hitchcock for being crazy about Tippi Hedren.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home