Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Another Dollar...

Tell me about your worst day at work.

No, seriously. Let me know about it. Share the crappiest day of your job. I'd really like to know about it, if you can spare the time to leave a comment. Today was officially my worst day at work.

My day was nothing special. No especially challenging tasks, no demanding boss or asinine chore. I was training for a possible promotion, of all things. Brushing up on my Excel and PowerPoint abilities, as they would very likely be part of my new responsibilities. And I found myself trumped with despair.

I didn't want this to be my life, I couldn't bring myself to give a damn about charts and equations and presentations because they weren't important. I'm an actor. I'm a writer. I have hopes and ambitions that have absolutely nothing to do with keeping an office seat warm for 8 1/2 hours a day.

I know, now, that I need to find new work. Am I an idiot for thinking I'm entitled to it? It won't be perfect, I don't expect it to be. But there must be something out there that can put me to good use, as a Bachelor's Degree holder and a verbally gifted guy, if nothing else. I have reached the limits of my professional atrophy.

Not pretending or presuming to be normal, I have to ask; how to normal people do it? How do they go to the same job every week day for 30+ years? Do they grow tired of it? How do they vent? What do they do to release tension? I don't know. I can't imagine it.

But I'd love to try.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home