Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Changing of the Guard

Blast and double blast. I've just read that the Kensington Arts Theatre is no longer planning to produce The Last 5 Years this spring, something I'd been looking forward to auditioning for, for months.

Dang.

There are other productions coming up that sound promising; such as the Rockville Little Theatre, for instance. Tribute looks like a very good show. There was a film version out quite a few years back starring Jack Lemmon and Robbie Benson; better known as the voice of the Beast, from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

It helps to have something else to look forward to. Between the post office issues, financial kerfluffels, and work, I've had a lot on my mind. Theatre has always been a way to step outside those issues for a while. I'm not that person, anymore, for hours at a time. I know I'm not the only one who finds some relief that way.

I can't get over Proof. It was the best thing I've done this year, hands down. It was also just... nice. Nice to feel like I know what I'm doing, or that I'm working well on something. People pointed out little things in my work that made me feel great (Thank you Leta, Andrew). That kind of support is so important to people in our line of work... We don't get paid (often), we don't have a progress report filled with facts or numbers concerning our work, all we have is the opinion. People think we did well, or poorly. If you're lucky, there' s a flattering review in a paper. All we have to go on besides our own gut instincts, are the opinions of those who have come to watch us do what we do.

Nick, Maura, and Andrea were a joy. Doing Proof with them occupied a great deal of my time, and since it finished, I hardly know what to do with myself. Besides wait, that is. Wait for the next promising audition to present itself, and start the cycle all over again.

Now, if only I could master that whole 'patience' thing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home