Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Missed Opportunities


As it's been previously mentioned, I have a twin. His name is Jordan and he lives on the west coast. We walk alike, we talk alike: You could lose your mind. My improv team, Start Trekkin' (aka the friends we have in common), is soon taking a trip to California. In the course of their trip they will no doubt run into my doppelganger.

Finances being what they are; I cannot afford to join them. I feel this is something of a mixed blessing. At least from a selfish point of view. Think about it. This way they get to have time w/ Jordan and re-affirm the whole "OMG we know someone exactly like you in New York" thing. Also, I can milk the gag that they've never seen the two of us in the same place simultaneously; thus sustaining the half-baked notion that we could be the same person. Heh heh.

Also, this allows me to retain my illusions a bit longer. For the same reason that one should never meet their heroes; I know that an actual encounter w/ my counterpart couldn't live up to the hype. The anticipation is greater than the event itself could possibly be. This is the truth.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be a total kick to shake hands w/ the guy and size each other up. Still-- the notion of such an unholy rendezvous still outshines the reality of it.

At least that's what I tell myself. The more fanciful portion of my brain can't help but thank my lucky stars that I'm not going, just in case. I wouldn't want to end up:

A) ceasing to exist. Come on, did you see Timecop??
B) beheading him in righteous combat w/ swords and a lightshow; during which I absorb his life-essence. There can be only one.

C) identifying one of us as a clone of the other, thereby delegating one of us to secondary citizen status forever.
D) tipping the scales of the world and causing untold destruction. The saying "This town isn't big enough for the two of us" came from somewhere, after all.
E) popping into whatever sucky alternate universe one of us escaped in order to get to this one.

I don't find any of those particularly appealing. Besides-- there's no way to guarantee he has the other half of this mystical golden amulet...

Anyway. Some food for thought. Ciao for now, folks.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Comic. Gold.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home