Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, October 05, 2007

Words Should Be Used Properly


Okay! First post as a 27 year old. Woot.

I'm enjoying a show that premiered on my birthday, Pushing Daisies. It's funny, sweet and just a bit morbid. I like it.

My problem is with a word they used. A main character, Chuck, says she was strangled with a plastic sack. On a cruise, her assailant (wearing very nice shoes) puts a plastic sack over her head and cuts off her air supply.

I like Chuck. She's verbose, a voracious reader and stacks her books vertically when she runs out of shelfspace. I do the same thing.

Only problem is, she wasn't strangled with a plastic sack. She was suffocated with a plastic sack. I'll grant you, "strangled with a plastic sack" has a nice ring to it. Three short A's right in a row. "Suffocated with a plastic sack" doesn't flow nearly as well.

Anyway. Since I started this commentary, Chuck has admitted to being hoisted by her own pitard. Followed shortly thereafter, her murderer exclaims "For Pete's sake!' in a flashback. A murderer. The worst thing he can think to say is "For Pete's sake!"

I officially love this show.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home